280g/10oz Plain Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
200g/7oz Caster Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Extract
250ml/8fl oz Milk
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
Pinch of Salt
- Melt the butter in a pan
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, add sugar, mix then make a well in the middle.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg, add the melted butter, lemon zest, vanilla and milk. Beat mixture until foamy.
- Pour egg mixture into the well in the flour, stir in gently and gradually drawing the dry ingredients in to make a smooth batter.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, do not over mix the mixture otherwise it will be tough.
- Place in muffin cases and put in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, the recipe says at 220C but I felt this was too hot, so I put it at 190C, just use your judgement or if in doubt put it a little lower and make sure you check them.
- Mix lemon juice and a couple of tablespoons of sugar together, when the muffins are cooked dip the tops into this mixture or brush the mixture over the top.
Extra tips I found may be useful:
- If you don't have a sieve for the flour then use a whisk to ensure there are no lumps
- As said above, check the muffins between 10 and 15 minutes, my oven cooked them fairly fast and I got them out at about 17 minutes and I felt they were done a little too long.