Friday 6 September 2013

Designer Feature: Jaquelina Freita

Almost the weekend and I have Jaquelina Freita this Friday,

Tell us a little about your background as a designer (education and work experience)
I completed a Textile Design for printing course that gave me the skills to create patterns, the knowledge of  fabrics and printing process. After that I had an internship on a company of home textiles. I was part of the team that developed the Spring/Summer 2010 collection. After that went to the company where I'm still working. Started in the Design and Color Separation Department. Drawings’ preparing and setting-up for conventional and digital print. And now I'm in the digital Department. Coloring the designs precisely for each type of fabric.

You must have gained so many valuable skills through your internship and work! so why did you want to be a designer and what is it you like about patterns?
After I finished my Social Work degree, I felt that wasn't my path, never felt the wish to make it my life and my focus was always something related to arts, I could only see myself doing something creative. I had an opportunity to learn more about textiles and took that change in my live. Completed a Textile Design course and since then my life is growing alongside my creativity. I'm still far from where I wanna be, but I'm working to get there! I love patterns 'cause they are unique, they translate feelings and have the power to make something come to life.

We creatives are drawn to artistic jobs like gravity!  I love your reason for loving patterns, they can definitely convey feelings.  How would you describe your style and what is your favourite medium to work in?
My style is a combination of modern, contemporary and geometric motifs with a touch of fun and colorful feelings. Spite liking to draw and paint, when I'm working professionally I prefer the computer and programs like Illustrator and Photoshop!

And last but not least, what inspires you and where do you get your inspiration from?
Everything! From architecture, interior design, furniture, photography... anything beautiful enough to make me think of doing something with it.

Now for a little look at some of Jaquelina's work!










1 comment: